Remember Carl and The Rex Cafe in My First Murder? Here's a recipe for Carl's "Truck Stop Enchiladas", to make and eat while you devour the book!
12 (uncooked/soft) corn tortillas
1-pound mild cheddar shredded
2 cans chile con carne or meat sauce (chili without beans)
1 chopped onion
Preferred oil for cooking
Fresh cilantro for garnish
13 X 9 inch greased baking dish
1. Pour chili into a medium bowl and warm.
2. Heat ¼ inch of oil in a skillet until almost smoking. Using tongs, dip a tortilla into the hot
oil for 5 seconds, turn it over for 5 more, lift and let oil drip back into the pan.
3. Dip tortilla into the warm chile con carne until covered, remove to a greased baking dish.
Put two tablespoons of cheese on the tortilla, roll and place seam side down in baking
4. Pour the remaining chile con carne over the enchiladas, top with shredded cheese and
finely chopped raw onion.
5. Heat in a 400F oven for 10 minutes or until the top is melted and the dish is bubbling.
6. Makes 12 enchiladas, or six servings.
Adapted from, Unorthodox Epicure, Adam Holland